Monday 29 April 2013

Day Five

The drive to Elsalen in Big Sur was quite the wavy ocean side drive. Amazing view all the way along it but a narrow windy road for sure. Driving with Granny has been quite the adventure in and of itself! It consists of several moments where she will claim "we shouldn't be headed north!!" And then I'll ask, "Did you see a sign that said we were!?" "Well no, it just feels like we are going north" she'll answer.  Even after I assure her that on the map and the last road signs I saw it said we were headed south, she claims her "internal compass" is disagreeing. She will follow my instructions though on the mere fact that I haven't got her lost yet. Good thing we can both laugh about it and not get cranky or frustrated with each other!
 

On the way to Elsalen we stopped at at Pfiefer park, one location that has the giant redwoods. We took a two mile hike through the redwoods to see a six foot waterfall. The trees were a sight to see as they are quite a bit larger than the ones we have back home. Several times on our little hike Granny wanted to quit, but I wouldn't allow it. Once we got to the falls, there was a friend waiting for us, a rattle snake. He was curled up in the rocks by the path, which was interesting to see.
 
We carried on our way in the wavy ocean side road and finally made to to our destination. Once we dropped our bags in the room we headed out to explore. I am not sure how to describe this place as I have never been on a "personal retreat" before. Our room is a small room with two beds and a small washroom.  Everything here is made out of wood. There was a note on the bed asking us to only use organic body washes, reuse towels as many times as possible and get this - the soap was placed on an actual leaf. I mean I don't mind at all, my friends and family know I have a little earthy/hippy in me! I am really hoping the food is organic as well.
 

There are several movement classes available here. Granny is at some kind of visualization/breathing one right now. I am planning on going to the morning yoga before breakfast. It is like it's one little community right on the edge of the ocean. There are lots of little buildings for certain classes. There's a mediation place, a couple different ones for yoga and so on. Meals are buffet style in the lodge building. There is a small pool.  There was a naked women suntanning when I walked by so I can tell it's an "anything goes" kinda place. I tried to find my way down to the ocean, but after looking over the edge and seeing the sun reflect off five white bums I decided  that maybe it wasn't so bad that I didn't find my way down.  LOL
 
I sat in the large open grass area for awhile and enjoyed some sun, quiet and the beautiful view! Supper was delicious pasta and salad, I was so amused at all the strange and interesting people at this place. After supper we walked around a bit more and then we came across some hooks with hoops in the yard. For everyone that knows Granny and has seen her use a hula hoop, it looked just like what you'd imagine.  Granny desperately trying to figure it out but not quite coordinated but giving it her best shot with a big goofy grin on her face! As we were laughing and giggling we talked a fella that was trying to enjoy the view into joining in our hula hoop fun! He turned out to be really good, too! Oops, talked to another stranger.  Sorry, mom.
As the sun went down we got on our suits and headed to the "baths" - what Granny calls hot springs. That were hot yes, and very relaxing. Clothing was optional in these "baths", and although we were the odd ones out we wore our suits! The best part was showering right next the the ocean with only a rail between you and it, under the stars. A day filled with lots of exercise and awesome views, yet oh so relaxing! More great days to come I am sure!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment