Friday 17 February 2012

What a Wonderful Day!

After a day in town feeling like I was melting in the back seat, it was so good to get home and see little faces peeking out the gate to greet us! A slug of cold water and I was ready to spend time with the kids! Somehow this is something I never get tired of! After running around for a bit outside we settled down and started to write our letters back to the Coalhurst kids. My name was being called in all directions! “Cianna how do you spell this?” “Cianna! Cianna! What does this say?” “Cianna, help me!” Such precious little voices, all so different yet so sweet and innocent. Once all the letters were done we headed out to the dusty road to have some fun on the bikes, and boy did we!

The best part by far was when everyone piled in and we watched the “long hair” movie (Tangled). I walked into the room and the kids had all their chairs lined up neatly and were waiting quietly.  Seeing 15 kids in neat rows sitting in dead silence is a sight to see! The way the kids made me feel during the movie will never be fully explained - Hasani on my lap kicking his feet everytime he got scared, Hawa with her head resting on my shoulder, Sabrina leaning her head against mine and Ibra grabbing my hand to hold and my arms around them all! I’ll admit for a while there I wasn’t paying much attention to the movie, just the kids in my arms. It’s the moments each day like this that make it so hard to think about leaving in two days. In some ways it feels like I have been here a long time as I’ve grown so close to each child and yet it feels like no time at all.  It’s gone by so fast. The kids have started asking when I’m going home and it’s so hard to see their smiles fade when I tell them only two days, their smile isn’t the only one that fades when I realize I have to leave.


I knew I would fall in with all these kids but I didn’t know they would consume my entire heart and then some! When Sam curls up under my arm on the step and tilts his head and looks at me with a big smile there’s nowhere else in the world I would rather be at that moment. Each day is full of moments like these - no wonder it’s so hard to think about leaving this place and these kids. It really puts a new perspective on life, the hustle and bustle of what we call the “good life” at home lacks these simple moments. Maybe if you set aside time in those crazy days, life will surprise you in ways you didn’t know were possible!  I sure didn’t know I could feel this way! I set aside a month of my life to dedicate to help a woman I thought was making a difference in 16 kids lives. I came here to give but really I received.  It has been the BEST MONTH I can remember. I have learned more than a book could have ever taught me; my heart has grown 16 times larger and I have learned there will always be differences not deficiency between people and cultures. If you want the “good life” then get out and live it! Happiness will never be bought and won’t just show up on your door step! You have to seek it.  Happiness is a state of mind! I was warned to be careful about falling in love with the kids and people I encountered, but that’s been the best part of this entire journey for me. My blog is called “My Journey Begins” which is so true because this journey will never truly end.  It will always be with me in everything I do and I am positive I will be back before too long! This feeling is addictive; this is one drug everyone should try in their life!

2 comments:

  1. Sigh, are you trying to make us all cry? When you go back, I want to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just finished your blog - Thanks for letting me read it! You put into words quite nicely what it's like over there. You're lucky to have had this type of experience this young.

    Your writing is far more expressive, but here's s set of people pixs that I took while I was over there which captures their 'spirit', I think, a bit.

    http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.10150548660627204.376287.635967203&type=1

    Good luck in your future travels!

    Todd (The guy from the airplane..)

    ReplyDelete